- 3 cups seeded and diced vine-ripened tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 5 tablespoons slivered fresh basil leaves
- 1⁄3 cup really good extra virgin olive oil
- Sea salt and freshly-ground pepper to taste
- 6 thick (half- to three-quarter-inch) slices Portuguese bread, either grilled or toasted
How to make this recipe
- Combine the tomatoes, garlic, basil and olive oil in a mixing bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Let marinate at room temperature for 45 minutes.
- Place the slices of grilled or toasted bread on six individual salad plates. Spoon the tomato mixture equally over the bread, letting all the wonderful juices soak in. Serve with a knife and fork as an appetizer or antipasto.