Honey Cake with Candied Citrus Frosting
1 3/3 cup all purpose flour
1 ¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon ground ginger
½ cup vegetable oil
½ cup honey
2 large eggs, at room temperature
½ cup granulated sugar
½ cup packed dark brown sugar
½ cup plus 2 tablespoons hot brewed coffee
2 tablespoons orange juic
½ teaspoon vanilla paste
1 cup granulated sugar
¼ cup plus 1 tablespoon all purpose flour
1 cup while milk
½ cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
1 teaspoon finely grated orange zest
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
¼ teaspoon salt
CANDIED CITRUS CLISES
1 ½ cup water
½ cup sugar
1 orange, cut into 1/8 inch slices
9 inch springform pan
How to make this recipe
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Farhenheit
- MAKE THE CAKE Cut parchment paper into a round to fit the bottom of the springform pan and spray with cooking spray
- In a bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, sinnamon, salt and ginger
- In a different bowl, combine the honey and the oil.
- In an electric mixer, beat the eggs, granulated sugar and brown sugar until nearly doubled in volume, about 4 minutes.
- Add the flour mixture and the honey mixture to the electric mixer in thirds at low speed until well combined.
- Add coffee and zest and mix again.
- Bake for about 55 minutes until a wooden toothpick comes out clean when inserted.
- WHILE BAKING, MAKE THE FROSTING AND CANDIED ORANGES. In a saucepan, combine flour and ½ cup of the sugar. Whisk in milk with the saucepan over heat until the mixture is very thick. Turn off heat, cover with parchment paper and let completely cool.
- While the mixture is cooling, combine the water and ½ cup of sugar in a separate saucepan over medium heat. When boiling, add the orange slices and turn down to a simmer. Simmer for 30 minutes. Drain the orange slices and let completely cool.
- When the flour / sugar/milk mixtures is cool, put the butter and ½ cup of sugar in an electric mixer and beat until fluffy. While the mixer is on, add the flour/sugar/milk mixtures one tablespoon at a time until well combined. Add orange zest and vanilla paste.
- TO ASSEMBLE. Frost cake with a thin layer of frosting to “crumb coat”. Refrigerate for an hour. Frost with the remaining frosting and layer the orange slices on decoratively. Refrigerate for another hour.
Prep Time and Cook active time : 1 hour
Total time: 4 hours
Serves: 10 servings
Source: Sunset Magazine