4 tablespoons butter
3 whole chicken breasts, skinless and boneless, cut into bite sized pieces
freshly ground pepper
¼ cup Dijon mustard
1 cup heavy cream
6 phyllo pastry sheets
2 ounces (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
¼ cup toasted bread crumbs
1 egg yolk, mixed with 1 tablespoon water
How to make this recipe
- Preheat oven to 425 F.
- Melt the butter in a large skillet.
- Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper.
- Saute chicken pieces until no longer pink about 4-5 minutes. Do not overcook. Transfer to a platter.
- Pour off the remaining butter in the pan. Add the mustard then whisk in the cream, scraping up any brown bits on the bottom of the pan.
- Reduce heat and simmer until reduced to about one half a cup.
- Add cream to the chicken pieces and toss to coat completely.
- Lay 1 sheet of phyllo on a baking sheet. Brush with a little of the melted butter and sprinkle with some of the bread crumbs. Repeat with 4 more sheets of phyllo.
- Place the last sheet of phyllo on top. Place the chicken on the bottom of the long side of dough, leaving a slight edge. Turn up the bottom edge and fold in the sides.
- Roll up jelly roll fashion. Have seam side down on the baking sheet.
- Mix together the egg yolk and water. Brush the dough with the egg wash. Bake until crisp and golden brown, about 15 minutes.
- Cut into 2 inch slices and serve immediately.
Prep Time: 1 hour
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Serves: 6-8 servings
Source: adapted from SF Encore