2 cups chicken stock
2 ounces dried porcini or shiitake mushrooms (or 1/3 pound fresh)
6 tablespoons butter
2 medium onions, chopped
3 leeks, white and pale green parts only, chopped
2 cups dry white wine
1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crumbled (1 tablespoon fresh, finely chopped)
salt and pepper to taste
4 pounds Russet potatoes, peeled and sliced into ¼” rounds
2 tablespoons goose, duck fat or butter
How to make this recipe
- Bring the stock to a simmer in a medium sauce pan.
- If using dried mushrooms, add them to the stock and let soak for 30 minutes. Drain mushrooms and set stock aside.
- Chop mushrooms finely.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter a 9 x 13 inch pan.
- Melt the remaining butter in a large skillet and sauté onions and leeks until tender but not brown, 10-20 minutes.
- Add mushrooms, stock, rosemary and wine. Bring to a boil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Arrange half of the potatoes in prepared dish. Using slotted spoon, top potatoes with mushroom/leek/onion mixture. Pour half of the liquid over.
- Arranged remaining potatoes over the two layers. Pour remaining stock over the top.
- Cover dish with foil. Cook for 1 hour, 15 minutes. Remove foil and bake for another 45 minutes. Potatoes should be tender and top slightly browned.
- Place fat on top of potatoes and cook under broiler for a few minutes. Top with chives.