1 cup all purpose flour
½ cup unsweetened cocoa, preferably Dutch process
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon cayenne
¼ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
½ cup packed light brown sugar
½ cup granulated sugar, preferably baking sugar
6 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 large egg
How to make this recipe
- In a medium bowl, whisk dry ingredients together: flour, cocoa, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, pepper and cayenne
- Cream together butter, brown sugar and granulated sugar in an electric mixer.
- Add egg then vanilla.
- Turn electric mixer speed down to low and add dry ingredients.
- Once well blended, form into a 3 “ diameter log shape and refrigerate for at least one hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Cut log into 1/8 “ to ¼” slices. Place on baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes until slightly firm and browned on the bottom
Prep Time: 15 minutes + 1 hour refrigeration time
Cook Time: 12-14 minutes
Serves: 2 dozen cookies
Source: Chocolate and the Art of Low Fat Desserts by Alice Medrich, type: refrigerator