1 pound sweet potatoes
1 egg, beaten
1 small onion, minced
1 tablespoon milk
1 tablespoon butter
¼ teaspoon grated peeled fresh ginger
2 tablespoons all purpose flour
1 tablespoon chipped parsley
pin of cayenne
salt and pepper to taste
¼ cup unflavored oil, such as canola
2 cups bread crumbs
How to make this recipe
- Bring a pot of water to a boil. Peel the sweet potatoes and boil them until a fork can be inserted easily.
- Mash the cooked sweet potatoes and mix together with egg, onion, milk, butter, ginger, flour, parsley, cayenne, salt and pepper.
- Heat the oil in a skillet on medium heat. Place the bread crumbs in a bowl. Form sweet potato mixture into little balls about a tablespoon each.
- Roll in the bread crumbs to coat.
- Fry several balls at a time in the hot oil, rolling them around to cook evenly. They are done when golden brown.
- Remove from the oil and drain on paper towels to remove the excess oil.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Serves: 10 balls (4-6 servings)
Source: adapted from Sundays at Moosewood Restaurant